Lead Product Designer
Choose to be part of something :Different!
We’re :Different, an Australian startup rebuilding property management from the ground up. We’re looking at the way homes are rented and making the experience better for everyone - the tenants who live there, the landlords who own the homes, and the property experts who work for them. We’re managing over 1000 properties, have a team of ~40 people, several successful funding rounds under our belts, and a fast-growing user base.
That’s why we’re hiring our lead Product Designer. We need design thinking, a head for systems and a passion to make the hard things seem easy. You’ll be a generalist working across our various products and ultimately building out a world-class design team. This role is 80% on the tools and 20% leadership: Your focus will be on building out our software products, and you’ll be personally creating designs, but we need someone who can also act as a mentor and a leader and think holistically about the future of design in the company.
Our product is a technology-based service, with a wide and deep service blueprint - you will work on projects that feel like service design, projects that require deep information architecture thinking, and projects that need beautiful UIs. But you don’t have to go it alone - you have a team of two already, and the opportunity to build out the design team you need over time. With a supportive team around you, this is a great opportunity for a senior designer keen to step into a leadership position.
Why you’ll like it here
As the leader of design in the company, you’ll have the opportunity to grow a design team from the ground up and define the design ethos of the company. Joining at this early stage means that you can grow with the company - you’ll start as a mentor and manager to a team of 3 and grow into the Head of Design role.
You'll work with our inspiring co-founder Mina (formerly the global Head of Product at Uber) and the rest of our diverse and friendly team of property and technology experts across Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Colombo. You will need to build good relationships with the team in Sri Lanka, and travelling there to do so is an option you may choose to take.
During this journey you’ll be expected to:
- Drive user research to learn the ins and outs of the property management industry, and become an expert in our users: owners, tenants, property managers, tradies, and more - and make sure the team has the information they need to be experts too. We believe in user research at :Different, and we budget for it (with time and money).
- Be on the tools - create wireframes, UI designs, prototypes, visual designs, and any other deliverables you need to get stuff done.
- Help with the rollout of our design system, and work closely with the dedicated team of engineers currently working on building it.
- Work with our co-founders and the core leadership team on business strategy, partnerships and investments. You’ll have a seat at the table to build user experience into the core business, from the beginning.
- Manage our two junior designers. They are both embedded in product teams and working autonomously, but they will look to you as a coach and mentor.
- Identify new ways that we can make our service delightful.
Remember, we’re a startup and Rome wasn’t built in a day. We are still growing and we’ll need you to roll up your sleeves and wade into the world of product management with us so that we can rebuild property management from the ground up.
- Strong opinions, weakly held
- A collaborative approach to design
- Enjoy working closely with product and engineering
- 7+ years of design experience, with a strong portfolio that you can walk us through
- Experience working as a designer in startups
- Experience mentoring / coaching designers
- Fluency in how software is built and how agile teams work
- Ability to create and lead projects - from inception through to delivery
- Flexibility and practicality - know when it’s okay to incur design debt for operational gain, and when it’s not
Highly regarded nice-to-haves:
- Experience designing for the property or real estate industry
- Speak Sinhala
Apply by sending a link to your portfolio, a resume, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
:Different is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and creating an inclusive environment for all employees. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.