Senior Technical Lead (Hands-on)
Different is seeking an experienced senior technical lead for a permanent position in our Colombo office. You will play an important role in a growing team of full-stack engineers that develop a product for an Australian-based startup called :Different. Our engineering team has been deeply involved with :Different since they started in February 2017.
- Love the startup life and culture and comfortable with constraints. As a fast-growing startup, we can’t do everything, and we work to make the most of the resources we have
- A can-do attitude
- Top-notch verbal and written English communication skills
- Pay a lot of attention to the details
- Accountable and highly organized
- A strong team player with a collaborative attitude
- Intellectual curiosity and an attitude that’s focused on learning new frameworks, libraries, programming languages and approaches
- Capable of switching between tasks and working in a fast-moving environment
- Experienced in pair-programming and mentoring junior engineers
- Experienced in managing both remote and in-house engineering teams
- Comfortable with Agile principles and Scrum
- Experienced in project analysis, project management, task distribution and defining deadlines
- At least 8-years of commercial experience as a software engineer in various roles
- At least 2-years of commercial experience as a team lead or senior team lead
- Experienced with Git and Github
- Experienced with relational databases, ideally MySQL
- Experienced with document-based databases, ideally MongoDB
- Experienced with Test-driven development (Unit Tests, Integration Tests, End-2-end tests)
About the role
As the senior technical lead, you will be part of a team of 15 developers that are based on :Different offices in Sydney and Colombo. We’ll be growing out our existing suite of internal and consumer products, as well as working on some major new areas that will significantly expand our business, within Australia and internationally. Here’s just a small sample of some of our current and upcoming projects:
- Development of a UI inventory using React
- GraphQL API to serve our mobile and web applications
- Codifying our infrastructure
- Automated deployments
- Development of various front-end dashboards using React
- Development of a task processing system using Redis
- International team trips
- Greenfield work on a cutting-edge, Microservice platform
- Flexible working hours
- Heaps of learning opportunities and room to grow within the organisation
- Discuss development priorities with various stakeholders in the company and plan for the development phase of projects
- Take ownership of the delivery aspect of various software projects from scoping phase to production releases, organise meetings and allocate projects to various engineering teams.
- Run project kick-off meetings with various engineering teams, discuss the priorities, convert projects to Jira tasks and allocate to various engineers.
- Be part of the development team and contribute to the software projects by:
- Run various development meetings like Daily Standup and Retrospectives
- Working with the team leads to architect the new features and maintain existing teams
- Manage the engineering team at Colombo office
- Interview candidates for the various engineering roles in Colombo office
Different is a consumer real estate startup that’s rebuilding property management. Our lead investor is AirTree Ventures, one of Australia's biggest venture capital funds. We’re also backed by such premier Silicon Valley investors like Foundation Capital (investors in Uber, Chegg, LendingClub) and Parker Thomson, a former partner at Angelist and 500 Startups.
One of our co-founders was the first PM and the global head of product at Uber, along with a variety of roles at Google and other startups in Silicon Valley. Our other co-founder was a Principal on Google’s global business strategy team and a director at Softbank.
Different promises to create a great experience for the millions of investment property owners and allow them to focus on living their lives, instead of being landlords. We want our people to focus on creating and nurturing great relationships with our owners, tenants and tradies, rather than repeatedly managing mundane tasks. We do that by building systems from the ground up that understand the complex workflows we deal with. That means intelligent background automation across a variety of platforms, delightful consumer products and the seamless transition between people and technology.
Does that look like your next challenge? Apply Online