Imagine if you could get anything you need for your home at the tap of a button, performed by the best possible person, for the fairest price, immediately. That’s what we’re building at :Different. Our vision is to create the assistant for the home, tackling the trillion-dollar home services market around the world.
We’re starting by rebuilding property management in Australia. In property management, we take care of every aspect of an investment home, delivering an incredible consumer experience for owners and tenants.
We know what it takes to build a successful startup. :Different has two co-founders with many years of experience in Silicon Valley. Mina was the first Product Manager and ultimately, global Head of Product at Uber. Ruwin was a Principal on Google’s global business strategy team and a Director at Softbank, the world’s largest internet sector investor. Both have deep experience and networks in the technology space.
We’ve raised three rounds of capital from top Silicon Valley and Australian VCs. We’ve grown rapidly, operate in three Australian capital cities and have plans to expand further around Australia and into the US.
The role (we have 5 openings at the moment)
As a senior developer for a permanent position, you will be part of a growing team of developers based in Colombo and Sydney. We’ll be growing our existing suite of internal and consumer products, as well as working on some major new areas that will significantly expand our business, within Australia and internationally. Here’s just a small sample of some of our current and upcoming projects:
- Development of a UI inventory using React
- GraphQL API to serve our mobile and web applications
- Codifying our infrastructure
- Automated deployments
- Be a part of one of our autonomous, cross-functional, agile teams that operate across the entire stack: front end, back end, database and infrastructure.
- Take responsibility for developing and shipping high quality code into production, on time.
- Follow industry best practices for everything from software design, coding, testing, deployment, debugging and documentation.
- Work with product owners and architects to constantly improve our software.
- Be an active participant in our rigorous code review process.
- You are passionate about coding and technology
- Love the startup life
- A can-do attitude
- Top-notch verbal and written English communication skills
- Pay a lot of attention to the details
- Accountable and highly organised
- A strong team player with a collaborative attitude
- Intellectual curiosity and an attitude that’s focused on learning new frameworks, libraries, programming languages and approaches
- Capable of switching between tasks and working in a fast-moving environment
- Experienced with pair-programming and mentoring junior engineers
- At least 5-years of commercial experience as a software developer
- Deep understanding of web technology fundamentals: browsers, HTTP, Linux, MySQL
- Experienced with Git and Github
- Experienced with relational databases, ideally MySQL
- Experienced with document-based databases, ideally MongoDB
- Experienced with Test-driven development (Unit Tests, Integration Tests, End-2-end tests)
Bonus if you're familiar with:
- Hashicorp products (Consul, Vault, Terraform, Packer)
- Shell scripting
What you’ll get from us
- Be a part of a world-class technology team that is currently building a state-of-the art system architecture cleanly from the ground up.
- Long-term career opportunities - as an early employee, there’s lots of opportunity to grow professionally, as well as play a critical part in our long-term engineering strategy.
- Have the best-of-the-best available for mentorship and support: our leadership team includes senior alumni from Google, Uber, Sysco LABS and the Boston Consulting Group.
- An incredible culture that values learning, autonomy and results over rigid policies and rules. We remain true to the twelve agile principles.
- A generous salary and bonus.
- Flexible working hours.